[Ardour-Users] Focusrite Saffire Pro 10, firewire and freewheel

Maurizio Berti maurizio.berti at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 07:38:45 PDT 2016

> Hi.
> Ask FFADO directly.
> If it works, no problem for ardour, for sure.
> For example: I use an "old" saffire pro 40. No PB. But new version don't
> work with GNU/linux. :/
> Don't worry about ardour itself.

I actually found a way to talk with the original developer of the new
alsa/firewire stack on the alsa-user mailing list.
It turns out that there is still the power-off problem on the Saffire Pro
10 and it is not possible to avoid it, at least with the current firewire
driver design status.
Using the alsa/firewire the problem is not that big, since freewheeling
doesn't stop the packet streaming as it does while using the firewire
driver directly from jack, but it is still an issue.
So, I decided to not to buy the Saffire at all, I'll look for something
else.

Thanks for your inputs, though.

Regards,
Maurizio

--
È difficile avere una convinzione precisa quando si parla delle ragioni del
cuore. - "Sostiene Pereira", Antonio Tabucchi