[Ardour-Users] resampling clicks

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Sun Apr 24 08:49:57 PDT 2016

On 04/24/2016 03:09 PM, Will Godfrey wrote:
> On Sun, 24 Apr 2016 15:14:01 +0300
> ". m u r m e r ." <murmer at murmerings.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2016.04.23 13:29 , Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
>>> Can you isolate a fragment of 2-5 seconds with a click in it and upload
>>> it somewhere for analysis?
>>
>> sure - here's a 13 second sample with two clicks, the first about 1
>> second in, and the 2nd about 1 second from the end:
>>
>> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/6485351/clicks.wav
>>
>> thanks!
>> patrick
>>

> Might be a red herring, but that is suspiciously close to the effect I was
> getting when I had two sound cards connected and was due to clock drift.

Well, it's a spurious sample in an otherwise quiet section, each time
the same value, not a discontinuity because of a buffer under- or
overrun. Yeah, looks very much like a clocking issue. But the OP says it
appears during import with resampling.

FWIW, Patrick, it does show up in the waveform very clearly here.

I haven't seen this on Linux, ever, and I routinely upsample snippets
taken from CD to 48k because that is my studio clock standard.
Looks like it's a bug. I don't see how any user error, not even a clock
misconfiguration, could explain this behaviour during import.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net