[Ardour-Users] A4.4: Critical bug using calf's lv2

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Tue Oct 27 09:33:58 PDT 2015

On 10/27/2015 04:46 PM, Damien Delpiroux wrote:
> Le 27/10/2015 16:03, Paul Davis a écrit :
>> CALF plugins have always been deeply problematic.
> I ear.
> But personally I never had any problem after hundreds hours of use, even
> with firsts versions of A4.

You're lucky then.

Never had the calf-reverb produce +200dBFS signals? It was reported on
the calf bug-tracker, ignored for 2 years and then dropped when the
tracker was moved from SF to github. The issue is still present.
granted, they asked for bug-reports to be re-filed, but I meanwhile gave
up on calf and it seems to bother nobody else.

Never had an audible glitches as soon as you start automating any of the
calf-plugins?  Even just manually rapming up the gain produces glitches:
http://robin.linuxaudio.org/tmp/calf_automation.png

..but all that aside, there are some cases where the plugins just cause
random crashes. The best guess is that it's due to memory corruption
which is probably due to some uninitialized variable/pointer or unhanded
case (that'd also explain the reverb issue) and also explain why it
works for some users most of the time and differs with host-versions
(different memory layout). The issues you describe also supports that
theory, but there's no evidence.

Issues like this are really hard to track down. Some tried, but gave up
on it.

In case X11 becomes non-responsive. you can run ardour in a screen(1)
and re-connect to that from the console or via ssh.

I hope you do manage to get a proper bug report, all issues aside,
having calf work reliably would be a great asset.

best,
robin