[Ardour-Users] Ardour 4.4 released

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Fri Oct 16 14:44:24 PDT 2015

On 10/16/2015 10:01 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 10/16/2015 07:26 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:

>> JACK installed and ran out of the box (although the plethora of driver
>> options took a while to figure out: the ASIO one did it).
>
> What's was reason for using JACK on windows? What other JACK apps do you
> use?  If the answer is "none", why not use Ardour's native portauio/ASIO
> backend?

Let's just say old habits die hard. Plus I might at some point like the
flexibility of JACK, especially netjack, if a project demands a
commercial plugin that does not run on Linux (something like izotope
stuff or other elaborate restauration tools come to mind). That way, I
can do the major part of the work on Linux.

>> Ardour hums along nicely, I've been putting the system through insane
>> loads *and* installing Windows updates in the background. No plugins
>> yet, though, but we'll get there. Are there any other Windows plugins
>> available other than Robin's (which I've downloaded already)?
>
> There's a whole universe of VSTs, you know..

Oh yeah, been browsing free VSTs all evening. What an ordeal. Free beer
for the first one who points out a free (easy) no-bullshit (hard if not
impossible) VST compressor without frills that is useful as a teaching
tool. :( Needs Thres, Ratio, Attack, Release, Knee would be nice,
Make-up, with scales that look at least plausible, even if the
implementation is not precise.

> but if I recall correctly the criteria was:
>    * free-software (source available)
>    * cross-platform: OSX, Win, Linux
> right?

Ideally. For now, I'd go for free as in beer, unless the tools are
sufficiently generic that the student can easily switch to another
sufficiently generic plugin on another platform.

> KXStudio/DPF may have some.

I'll check those out.

> http://tytel.org/helm/ is a very cool synth, but different formats (VST,
> AU, LV2) on different platforms (no session compat).
>
> http://harrisonconsoles.com/site/store-mixbus-plugins.html are great but
> not free. Did you contact them for a "workshop license"?  They're all
> LV2 (portable sessions).

Might do that, thanks.

> swh's LADSPAs can be compiled for windows. Interested? An OS X build is
> already available from:
> http://robin.linuxaudio.org/tmp/swh-plugins-osx-universal-0.4.15+gita12ba80d.zip

I think the Audacity team has already done that:
http://audacityteam.org/download/windows
Haven't figured out yet how to make Ardour find them, but I guess that
shouldn't be too hard.

>> I don't see myself getting a full windows build environment unless I
>> absolutely have to (feel like I'm spending to much time there already).
>
> Don't. If you must cross-compile on GNU/Linux.

Good point.

>> For now, thanks to everyone to take the pains to support windows, it
>> allows me to use Ardour for teaching!
>
> I'll take this opportunity to point to http://ardour.org/windows.html

Yep, I'm aware of that page. I will point my students to it :)

All best,

Jörn

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net