[Ardour-Users] increasing tempo

Dominic Sacré dominic.sacre at gmx.de
Thu Nov 12 14:27:44 PST 2015

On 2015-11-10 19:36, Q wrote:
> A ramp like you suggest would of course be easier to use, but you could
> make the change less abrupt by adding tempo markers every beat over a
> number of bars. Admittedly the change would still be stepped, but the
> changes would be less noticeable, especially if you use fractions of a
> bpm changes from one marker to the next.
>
> It can take a bit of time to add all the markers but I've found it to
> work well. I don't know how ramps work in other DAWs, but the beauty of
> doing it with a bunch of markers is that you can vary the rate of change
> of tempo.

I've written a small script which can make this task a lot less tedious:

https://github.com/dsacre/klick2ardour

The script reads klick tempo maps (which are simple text files) and
rewrites the tempo markers in existing Ardour session files. If the
tempo map contains ramps it will add one marker per beat, just like you
describe.
You can still set the tempo of each beat individually if you need to,
but it should generate smooth ramps if you just say "change tempo from x
bpm to y bpm over this many bars".

Dominic