[Ardour-Users] increasing tempo

Q lists at quirq.net
Tue Nov 10 10:36:16 PST 2015

On 10/11/15 10:59, m.eik michalke wrote:
> Am Montag, 9. November 2015, 08:23:02 schrieb Kevin Cosgrove:
>> In the past I used Rosegarden to generate ramped tempo click tracks,
>> imported that audio into Ardour, and ignored the bar markers in Ardour
>> for those songs.  That worked fine for me.
> thanks for the suggestion.
>
> we need this rarely, but some of our pieces (especially the ones >7min) have
> three or four different tempi, and sometimes the change has to be gradually
> and not abruptly. sometimes it's just the last few beats where we slow down
> noticeably, sometimes a slow build-up to the next part.
>
> would be great to have this natively implemented. having a fixed click track
> is a bit inflexible, e.g. if we want to try just a bit slower or faster to
> check how it feels.
>

> viele grüße :: m.eik

A ramp like you suggest would of course be easier to use, but you could
make the change less abrupt by adding tempo markers every beat over a
number of bars. Admittedly the change would still be stepped, but the
changes would be less noticeable, especially if you use fractions of a
bpm changes from one marker to the next.

It can take a bit of time to add all the markers but I've found it to
work well. I don't know how ramps work in other DAWs, but the beauty of
doing it with a bunch of markers is that you can vary the rate of change
of tempo.