[Ardour-Users] Cut/copy MIDI data into new MIDI track

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 09:47:41 PST 2015

On Tue, Nov 3, 2015 at 11:48 AM, jonetsu at teksavvy.com <jonetsu at teksavvy.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 08:38:12 -0500
> "jonetsu at teksavvy.com" <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:
>
> > Cutting selected MIDI notes using Ctrl-X works fine.  When it comes to
> > pasting them, though, it is not so easy.  See attached screen shots.
> > 1 shows the selected notes before doing Ctrl-X. 2 shows taht all
> > tracks became kind of selected when right-clicking on the empty MIDI
> > track to paste the notes.  Choosing paste in the right-click
> > contextual menu will not paste the notes into the empty MIDI track.
>
> OK, found out that the cursor /must change to the pencil/ and then
> clicking inside the new MIDI track, Ctrl-V to paste the copied MIDI
> data.  Only thing is that it will paste seemingly right at the cursor
> location, which means that the cursor must be deadly precise at the
> exact same place in time as the original data.  There's a lot of leeway
> in this, way too much.  Is it possible to copy the copied MIDI notes
> automatically at the exact same place they appear in the original track
> since the software already knows about this ?

This shouldn't be an issue if you have grid snap turned on. Just set
markers in your session, so you copy when set at the desired marker, just
make sure you snap back to the same marker when you paste.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com
"In the rhythm of music a secret is hidden; If I were to divulge it, it