[Ardour-Users] How to connect a MIDI keyboard to a synth plugin ?

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Mon Nov 2 13:56:44 PST 2015

On Mon, 2 Nov 2015 16:34:59 -0500
Brett McCoy <idragosani at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 2, 2015 at 3:47 PM, jonetsu at teksavvy.com
> <jonetsu at teksavvy.com> wrote:
>
> > I am trying the Hive VST plugin.  I created a MIDI track and added
> > Hive at the time of creation a sit was in the drop down list of
> > instruments.  The on-screen Hive keyboard works and produces sounds.
> > OTOH, the external MIDI keyboard cannot connect to the VST synth.
> > In 'tracks and busses' the MIDI track shows the external keyboard,
> > the USB ProKeys 88 as input, so I selected it.  Ardour's MIDI
> > activity window will show the key strikes from the keyboard all
> > right.  But nothing gets to the plugin.  Is there something
> > missing ?

> There may be a mismatch between the channel the keyboard is sending on
> versus the channel the plugin is configured for.

I get a similar problem with the built-in Resonable synth.  I create a
MIDI track, choose the Reasonable synth then in the 'tracks and busses'
I select the USB ProKeys 88 external keyboard as input and playback 1
and 2 as audio outputs.  Keys pressed ont he ProKeys 88 are recognized
by Ardour's MIDI activity window, but then no sound comes out of the
synth, which makes me think that it does not receive the actual MIDI
input.