[Ardour-Users] Audio delay

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sun May 31 07:19:10 PDT 2015

Hello,

  Using Ardour 4.0.0 I connect both output of a Korg microstation using
qjackctl to the M-1010LT playback inputs.  In this case outputs 7 and
8 to the first two playback inputs. Then I create a track to record it,
choose the Korg MS audio output 7 and 8 and assign them to that track.
When I play toms, there are single-sound toms.

Ardour monitoring is set to hardware audio.
security/limits.d/audio.conf is:

@audio   -  rtprio     95
@audio   -  memlock    unlimited
#@audio   -  nice      -19

Kernel is: 3.13.0-24-generic x86_64 (Linux Mint 17).

When I additionally click on the track's Input button to hear it from
Ardour, a delay appears, like if the toms had a little to them.
Definitively not single-sound toms anymore.

I also experience the same when recording acoustic guitar and wanting
to hear it through Calf processing by clicking on the track's Input
button.  So much, that I drop it and record only by hearing the guitar
through the headphones (eg. through the physical headphone shells, not
the headphone audio where playback occurs) and adjust plug-in
processing afterwards.  Not the same as playing through processing and
taking real-time advantage of the effects.

Questions: which one of these are the real hits ?  Does it mean
that what Ardour records is slightly behind the real event ?  Is there
any adjustments to be made in the case of the acoustic guitar to
benefit from recording using plugin (Calf) processing ?

Cheers.