[Ardour-Users] LinuxVST in Ardour4.0.0 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS x86-64?

Gunter Königsmann gunter at peterpall.de
Wed May 6 21:37:16 PDT 2015

I am currently working with wxMaxima which is a front-end for the
computer algebra system maxima and I always wonder why it is
implemented as a client-server architecture: The actual mathematics is
done by a separate program. This sounds monstrous and has its
disadvantages, too. But if the process that does mathematics crashes
this does not tend to be a problem: The program that contains the
worksheet with the actual user data still lives on.
Would it be possible to write a external program that scans for AU or
VST plug-ins and populates a list with them? This program could run in
the background not delaying the start-up of ardour too much and it
could even inform the list that a certain plug-in crashed before
actually testing if this assumption was right and (if it didn't)
correcting the error after actually scanning the plug-in: This way the
list would even contain the information which plugin caused a crash.

Kind regards,

    Gunter.