[Ardour-Users] LinuxVST in Ardour4.0.0 on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS x86-64?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon May 4 09:13:54 PDT 2015

On 05/03/2015 08:58 PM, Per Sigmond wrote:
> That helped. Thanks.

you're welcome.

> So vst plugins are not automatically scanned for, but it seems lv2/ladspa
> plugins are. A little confusing, but I assume there is a good reason for this
> difference in behaviour?

Yes, various reasons.

LV2 plugins can be discovered by just reading the ttl (description). The
plugin itself does not need to be instantiated. It's fast and it's robust.

Scanning AU or VST may crash ardour[1]. Some users never even saw
ardour. It always crashed at start while discovering plugins.
If the crash happens when a user explicitly asks to scan, there is at
least some clue.

Some VSTs perform license checks, pop up dialogs (please register etc),
other VSTs can take a long time. If you have a few hundred plugins
installed a scan can take minutes.

If none of the above is an issue for you, there's a checkbox in
preferences to always scan at start.

ciao,
robin

[1] some aspects of this has been mitigated. VST discovery is now
delegated to an external scanner app. Also a crash during scan will
disable the 'automatic scan at start' preference and ardour maintains a
blacklist..