[Ardour-Users] a completely frustrating experience so far

Brett McCoy idragosani at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 06:14:52 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 10:31 PM, Gunter Königsmann <gunter at peterpall.de> wrote:

> On Ubuntu I sometimes had the problem that pulseaudio or similar is still
> trying to play back/record through the sound card I want to use with ardour
> when ardour tries to start up jack: Jack doesn't like sharing its audio.
> The symptoms were similar to the ones you describe. Uninstalling everything
> that needs the sound card, runs in the background and that I don't need
> (speech-dispatcher, flite and the likes) and compiling ardour with alsa
> support instead of jack did solve the problem.

What sort of problems were you having specifically? Since at least
Ubuntu 12.x or 13.x, PulseAudio and Jack co-exist quite well. If you
start Jack via qjackctl, it will automatically shutdown PA and then
restart as a Jack client. I just keep Jack up 100% of the time and can
still stream PA sound from web browsers, media players, etc, as
needed.

--
Brett W. McCoy -- http://www.brettwmccoy.com