[Ardour-Users] a completely frustrating experience so far

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Jun 9 06:04:22 PDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 10:31 PM, Gunter Königsmann <gunter at peterpall.de>
wrote:

> On Ubuntu I sometimes had the problem that pulseaudio or similar is still
> trying to play back/record through the sound card I want to use with ardour
> when ardour tries to start up jack: Jack doesn't like sharing its audio.
> The symptoms were similar to the ones you describe. Uninstalling
> everything that needs the sound card, runs in the background and that I
> don't need (speech-dispatcher, flite and the likes) and compiling ardour
> with alsa support instead of jack did solve the problem.

If "sharing audio" is a part of the goal, then running Ardour with ALSA
support certainly is *not* an approach to take, since it (a) owns the
device (b) unlike JACK offers no possible way to share it with anything
else.

There are perfectly good ways to make PulseAudio interoperate with JACK.
There is no reason for the sort of dramatic uninstall approach that you
describe.