[Ardour-Users] Mixing console: monitor strip suggestion

jonetsu at teksavvy.com jonetsu at teksavvy.com
Sun Dec 20 12:24:24 PST 2015

On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 21:05:07 +0100
Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:

Salut,

> OK, I thought that spawned this. It's a pretty good coincidence that
> you brought this up less than 24h after we've started work on this.

He he.  It's a coincidence that after all those years I finally
understood a few days ago what is the purpose of the monitor.
Basically, not to alter the main master bus settings when listening.
Only recently did I start to actually pay attention to doing mixes.
Lots of fun as I discover much, much more Ardour features and tools.

> Compiling just Ardour is relatively simple compared to toying with
> system-wide jack-install. Besides, there's http://nightly.ardour.org/
> which can be installed in parallel to distro builds if you want to
> check it out.

Might give it a try.

> http://robin.linuxaudio.org/tmp/monitor_section_new_old.png

Looks nice.

> The "Excl. Solo" "Solo >> Mute" button combination defines the width.
> The rest moves along and fills available space.

> There's the idea to provide a "narrow" mode: just Volume, Mute, Dim
> and SiP, AFL, PFL.  will have to experiment a bit.

These are still things I have to understand in practical terms.  I must
say that the Mixbus user manual is great to get more into details.  But
still, I find that basic audio rec/mixing work documentation is not
easy to come by.  There are books, such as "Mixing Secrets" which are
inspiring although there are no details when it comes down to actually
do work.  For instance, working on a audio track to tighten up the snare
hits to the click at the waveform level.  Still looking for good audio
mixing documentation.