[Ardour-Users] Mixing console: monitor strip suggestion

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sun Dec 20 12:05:07 PST 2015

On 12/20/2015 07:41 PM, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
> On Sun, 20 Dec 2015 19:34:13 +0100
> Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:
>
>> Did you check recent git?
>
> I certainly did not.

OK, I thought that spawned this. It's a pretty good coincidence that you
brought this up less than 24h after we've started work on this.

> I try to avoid any complications that would prevent to make music.
> Such as this one now with jackd, but I had no choice.

Compiling just Ardour is relatively simple compared to toying with
system-wide jack-install. Besides, there's http://nightly.ardour.org/
which can be installed in parallel to distro builds if you want to check
it out.

>> Since yesterday it's about 75% the width
>> and the master bus has a button (instead of "solo") to show/hide it on
>> demand (also bindable to a keyboard-shortcut from the Menu > View).
>
> Looking forward in the release.
>
>> The width limiting factor are actually the toggle-buttons, not the
>> knobs.
>
> I had figured that they would be spaced according to the available
> width, by whichever framework is used.  Or even spaced manually.

http://robin.linuxaudio.org/tmp/monitor_section_new_old.png

The "Excl. Solo" "Solo >> Mute" button combination defines the width.
The rest moves along and fills available space.

There's the idea to provide a "narrow" mode: just Volume, Mute, Dim  and
SiP, AFL, PFL.  will have to experiment a bit.

best,
robin