[Ardour-Users] Ardour systematically crashes on plugin

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Fri Dec 4 12:44:57 PST 2015

On 12/04/2015 01:38 PM, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
> On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 21:08:01 -0500
> Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
>
>> Reason 921-and-a-half why plugins are problematic.
>
> Yesterday I closed the session with the Harrison Gverb as the plugin,
> preceded by the Harrison lookahead comnpressor abd followed by Robin
> Gareus' 4-band EQ.  Today I open the session, remove all of them, plug
> back the RVB500, double click on it and the GUI appears, no more crash,
> it works.
>
> This now strangely starts to be akin to eg. old TV sets that have to be
> tapped on the side or top to give a good picture.  Shaking the
> lamps. Only this time it could be about rebooting the computer a la
> Windows-remedy style.  I wonder if there wouldn't be some tool that
> would 'shake' the memory allocation on a computer.  Give it a wash and
> spin.

That does smell like memory corruption. A plugin writes to some memory
where it should not write to.

Depending where it writes to, different effects manifest: it can range
from "makes no difference" (or maybe just flip a red pixel on screen to
blue..) to "crash immediately".

It could also be some uninitialized variable, or it may be something
entirely different. gdb backtrace and or valgrind.org may be able to
shed some light.

Anyway, if you know which plugin causes the issue, best contact the
author or that plugin.

ciao,
robin