[Ardour-Users] Starts to be pretty bad

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Mon Sep 22 05:36:55 PDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-09-22 at 10:14 +0200, Michael Kuhlmann wrote:
> I am using Ardour for professional radio work (want to replace
> Samplitude with Ardour sometime in future, depending just on solving
> an export problem) on two different PCs and I have never had problems
> with lost or destroyed files or audio tracks etc.
>
> Anyway, if I work with an audio file I ALWAYS use to make at least one
> copy of it (rather more than one) and save it in a different folder or
> on a different disc. If it's a unique file (like an interview record)
> I even make a copy of original and edited file on analogue Telefunken
> studio tape (7,5 ips). For when it comes to "trust" - I do not trust
> ONLY digital technology ;-)...

During a multi-track music production, it would be very ineffective to
copy each take, before continuing with the next take, especially if
somebody plays all instruments of a song alone. When using Linux at home
I indeed do this, using a script and later I delete several unneeded
backups, but that can't be called a "professional" workflow. Copying an
interview to an analogue tape indeed is a good idea, the same is good
for a finished digital multi-track recording, but that can't be done
take for take during a multi-track recording. Btw. sync to restore
wouldn't be that easy. Small studios usually don't own analog machines,
that can be synced as SMPTE slaves. IOW I guess you misunderstand the
problem of the OP. That software X, Y or Z is stable n one machine for
one workflow doesn't make those software stable on different machines
with different workflows. IMO analog multi-track recording is more
reliable, but we shouldn't discuss this here, I only want to explain,
that the OP seems to run into an issue, were your backup solution isn't
practicable.

Regards,
Ralf