[Ardour-Users] No sound from my speakers

Steve the Fiddle stevethefiddle at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 05:32:18 PDT 2014

On 18 July 2014 12:48, JoergSorge <technik at srb.fm> wrote:
> Hi Steve the Fiddle:
>>> From this point, all other usual audio-programms (like flasplayer etc),
>>> that uses PulseAudio (another linux-sound-system) are stopping to work
>>> (to play).
>>
>> That should not really happen.
>> If it does, then it's probably because you don't have
>> "pulse-audio-module-jack" installed, or not configured.
>
> yes, you are right!
>
> But the "normal" user of a "mainstream-distro" will get absolutely no
> info about such issues, when he start ardour!

That's why we have support forums, so that more experienced users can
help new users with teething problems. :-)
It's one of the things that I really like about Linux - there's a
sense of  community and people are willing to help each other. So much
of Linux is built on cooperation and collaborative effort.

> Beside technical solutions or facts, I mean it's time to look over the
> fence and stop any disskusions about the "better or dirty" systems or
> use a "audio-distro".
>
> Some people will simply do her work with an standart-install. Maybe
> audio-editing is for such people one application among others. Under OSX
> or Windows you can start heavy audioediting-programs without the skills
> for a "jackd versus pulse-audio guru".....why must it be so complicatet
> under linux?

The problem is not only Linux.

To do serious audio work on Windows you are likely to need to install
a third party (closed source) audio system called ASIO (from
Steinberg), or the freeware alternative ASIO4ALL. You may also need to
find and install ASIO drivers for your audio device. Then you will
probably need to mess around setting up the buffer and port settings
so as to get your software to work in a reasonable fashion.

Even when all that is done, you will still have the problem that
non-ASIO applications will not have access to the sound system because
ASIO grabs exclusive access.

At least on Linux, pulse-audio-module-jack provides a fairly simple
solution to shared access to the sound card when running Jack.

> And I Think it's not good for such a great Program like Ardour and
> others in the "jack-audio-world" when new users fall into this
> (preventable) traps.
>
> I know enough people they have testet ardour and are struggled about
> this issues, and left this great alternative....
>
> Did you understand, that I think, it's a generally problem that must be
> solved, not only technical?

Good documentation goes a long way to making these issues easier to
deal with. There are plenty of opportunities for users to be involved
in documentation.

Steve