[Ardour-Users] No sound from my speakers

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Fri Jul 18 05:25:15 PDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-07-18 at 13:48 +0200, JoergSorge wrote:
> Under OSX or Windows you can start heavy audioediting-programs without
> the skills for a "jackd versus pulse-audio guru".....why must it be so
> complicatet under linux?

Incorrect, you need to setup Windows too, you e.g. need
http://www.asio4all.com/ , if on Windows you seriously would use a DAW
comparable to Ardour. On Windows and Linux you need to care about what
other apps you install and what is enabled while making audio
productions. Pro-audio easily can get broken on both OS.

Linux gives you many choices, while Windows doesn't give you that many
choices.
I don't use a Linux audio distro, I use Arch Linux, so I don't have to
care about something like pulseaudio issues, since it simply doesn't
install that much by default, even X isn't installed by default. If you
chose a distro, that comes with a userspace default install, then you
make it complicated, not Linux makes it complicated, it's your
self-responsibility what distro you chose.

Sure, hardware is less good supported for Linux, because most vendors
decide not to provide support for Linux and in addition some distros
ship with a policy against proprietary software, OTOH it's easier to get
some good software legally free of charge for Linux, than to get it for
Windows. However that be, you can't compare bananas and oranges, you are
free to chose what ever OS fits better to your needs. Indeed there are
differences between OSX, Windows and Linux. Using restricted machines
based on OSX and Windows are so complicated, while Linux often is less
complicated, it depends to the pint of view ;).

Regards,
Ralf