[Ardour-Users] No sound from my speakers

Steve the Fiddle stevethefiddle at gmail.com
Fri Jul 18 04:18:27 PDT 2014

On 18 July 2014 10:58, JoergSorge <technik at srb.fm> wrote:
> Hi German,
>> Hello list. First of all I have to say that I am complete newbie to Ardour. I just installed it
>> two hours ago. What I was trying to accomplish was to record some audio from my usb digital piano.
>> Track seemed to record ok, but when I hip "play" no sound out of my speakers. And it seems that all of my audio
>> on this system ( Linux 64 bit) are screewed. My music player won't work. Thanks for any clues
>
> I don't know if I can help you.
>
> But from your post, I think, you are running in a typically trap of
> linux-audio for newbies. And the most answers, I think also, cant help you.
>
> I guess you are starting ardour with a Doubleclick or from a Menue!?
>
> And you don'nt know, that in this case, ardour starts jackd (a sound
> server) in the background!?
>
> From this point, all other usual audio-programms (like flasplayer etc),
> that uses PulseAudio (another linux-sound-system) are stopping to work
> (to play).

That should not really happen.
If it does, then it's probably because you don't have
"pulse-audio-module-jack" installed, or not configured.

"module-jack-sink" and "module-jack-source" should be loaded after
jack is started but before running any non-jack applications.

If you use QJackCtl to start Jack, then you can load the modules
automatically by adding the following line to:
"Setup > Options > Exectute script after startup"

pactl load-module module-jack-sink channels=2; pactl load-module
module-jack-source channels=2; pacmd set-default-sink jack_out

Of course, you only need this if you want to run non-jack audio
applications while Jack is running.

Steve