[Ardour-Users] No sound from my speakers

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jul 13 06:52:51 PDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-07-13 at 09:21 -0400, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
> > Ardour uses jackd and jackd should use a sane master-backend. There is
> > no advantage to use an additional sound server when working with
> > pro-audio tools.
>
> Hmmm...  That is, if the machine is used solely for that.  And if the
> user is too lazy - like me - to reboot in another OS for listening to
> youtube videos or for that matter, using the Chinese learning software
> that pronounces words.or anything else that does not use jackd.
>
> As Paul replied, it can be possible to do this with ALSA but, [snip]

For just watching YouTube videos, while not using jackd at the same
time, you have nothing to do, to use plain ALSA, IOW only run jackd when
using pro-audio tools and don't run it for averaged desktop applications
such as web browsers. If you want to use averaged desktop apps and
pro-audio tools with jackd at the same time, take a look at
http://jackaudio.org/faq/ , I guess this is what Paul mentions
alternatively to PA.

For people who don't need PA, but want to use apps that have a hard
dependency to PA, they could build dummy packages, or recompile apps
without PA dependency or they simply could disable it. AFAIK there
nowadays isn't an issue with disabling PA.

Even if somebody needs or just likes PA, I don't think it's wise to use
it, while doing audio productions. Disabling and enabling IMO is the
better way to go.

2 Cents,
Ralf