[Ardour-Users] No sound from my speakers

Steve the Fiddle stevethefiddle at gmail.com
Sun Jul 13 05:26:28 PDT 2014

I see that we've drifted a long way from the original topic of this
thread, but nevertheless, as there appears to be some interest;
PulseAudio can be very useful in conjunction with Jack Audio System
for many reasons, depending on what you want to do. For example, it
can allow you to run multiple audio devices simultaneously (Jack will
normally use only one input and one output device). PulseAudio can
also allow you to use non-Jack audio applications while Jack is
running, either as part of the Jack system, or independently of it.

For example, "Nyquist" is a very powerful language for sound synthesis
and composition (see: http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~music/nyquist/), but it
is not Jack enabled, so it cannot be directly integrated into a Jack
system. However, by using "PulseAudio Jack Sink" module
(http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/Modules/#index42h3),
the output from Nyquist can be routed to Ardour (with or without
additional effects) and mixed with live input, or input from Jack
aware applications.

It can take a bit of time and experimentation to get PulseAudio and
Jack Audio System to play nicely together, but doing so can provide an
extremely powerful and flexible system.

Steve