[Ardour-Users] No sound from my speakers

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Sun Jul 13 03:12:44 PDT 2014

On Sun, 2014-07-13 at 05:39 -0400, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
> Le dimanche, 13 Jul 2014 10:15:26 +0200,
> Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net> wrote :
>
> > On Fri, 2014-07-11 at 18:37 -0400, jonetsu at teksavvy.com wrote:
>
> > > Hmmm... There's no real need to throw away Pulse Audio these days.
> > > pavucontrol will work.  Less steps to do.  See attached.
>
> > And what does a user gain from using PA in combination with pro-audio
> > tools?
>
> Hmmmm... Gute Frage.  Wasn't there a screenshot attached with that
> reply ?

And what do we gain, if we turn off an integrated audio device for
pulseaudio?

Ardour uses jackd and jackd should use a sane master-backend. There is
no advantage to use an additional sound server when working with
pro-audio tools.

Perhaps PA is needed assumed somebody want's to record skype calls for a
radio show? I dunno, but I heard skype needs PA, however, usually adding
another sound layer is a bad idea.