[Ardour-Users] Ardour 3 - export bugs

Thorsten Wilms t_w_ at freenet.de
Thu Jul 3 01:42:41 PDT 2014

On 03.07.2014 00:02, Kim Cascone wrote:
> - when I clicked on export I fumbled through a hella-confusing export
> panel which kept duplicating tabs as I tried to create a new one
> - the expected behavior was that I could simply add a new tab then edit
> it so I could modify that tab to export a file to a format and
> resolution I typically work in -- but this seems to be an inaccurate
> assumption on my part...?

I'm the designer of the original export dialog concept and I worked with
the developer during implementation. See
http://thorwil.files.wordpress.com/2007/08/export_design_2007-08-11.pdf

Grown in experience since then, I both see why it is that way and
several potential stumbling blocks for first-time users. How to reduce
them is not clear, though.

Each tab represents one format to be exported on execution. It's a
somewhat unusual use of a notebook and thus an obvious source for
confusion; however, it is consistent with all sane tab implementations
in that tab selection is only about visibility, _not_ switching one
thing on and all others off.

Everything on a tab's page remains editable, there's no need to add a
tab to have something you can change. I guess the misconception you
might have to is linked to having the (start of the) format label as
name of the tab. Change the format and the tab's name changes with it.
This is unexpected, but most practical in continued use. For now, I can
think of only one way to keep the feature while avoiding this confusion:
Put the Format combobox right into the tab ... which would lead to a
number of layout issues.

--
Thorsten Wilms

thorwil's design for free software: