[Ardour-Users] [off-list or to the list?] Multiple USB Input recording ___IS___ needed. No it is not "DUMMB" to want this feature

will cunningham willpanther at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 21:42:11 PST 2014

+1 for quality instead of professional.  I was trying to recount the
reactions of professionals who do very high quality work.  I deal with
three groups of professionals; slick studio musicians we hire who spend
most of their time on sessions in LA; they have incredible resumes for
producing and playing on sessions for commercials, but the ones I deal with
have turned out to be personalities who play very even but with the lowest
level of knowledge of the three groups of pros I deal with.

The second are old school pro musicians in NY who get called into sessions
that want an early '70s flavor as they have been labeled acid jazz in the
last ten years.  The third, who are the ones I am trying to steer towards
Ardour, are sound engineers who make their living mixing live shows
weddings etc. that can afford scale or double scale rates, and they by far
are the least elite of the three, but I believe are the most knowledgable.

They tell me repeatedly that many of their highest paying gigs are for
clubs and smaller concert situations that insist they basically attack the
audience with wattage, while they would prefer to move to clarity over
volume, and tell me they think they do better quality sound for a wedding
without being pressured to overdo it than some of the name acts they post
on their websites they've mixed for.

As they have to be convinced to move fromm proprietary software to Ardour,
we need a little more polish to bring them over, but if they didn't have to
be moved, Ardour could be used for most of what they need a DAW for.

For them, I've recently had to admit that the Maudio delta cards are not
coming out with a pcie card just a little better than the 1010s, as well
as  a few other vendors I thought were going to get closer to RME.  BTW,
these guys don't see RME as all that, but see it as one of several.  I only
see RME as the the because of the Linux support.

My acid jazz boys(who are really my peops of the three) say when they get
hired for recording projects, there's nobody under 50 except for the sound
engineer because many of the sound engineers they came up with have lost
their mid range hearing.  Many of those engineers, I am told, are hired to
record for top 40 acts.  I mention this because it's a tangible example of
SOME of the projects for top 40 not  being able to distinguish between
resume and quality, so saying top 40 musicians don't use Ardour, if true,
doesn't mean that Ardour couldn't give at least many in the top 40 world a
run for its money.

Right now I'll bet that there are engineers who don't have some of the
constraints of some of the engineers I know who are not just as good as but
making better quality using Ardour.  That is, one might mix for lower
dollar pay scales without the pressure SOME of the higher dollar venues put
on mixers, and are able to afford to reach higher quality by keeping their
costs down using Ardour with Linux with fewer higher dollar components in
there work flow.

One crux of this thread is where the quality floor of where Arour's main
focus is, and that doesn't mean Ardour isn't for any quality level a user
wants, as it's free software.  My understanding, and correct me if wrong,
is that to really begin to utilize the quality Ardour is capable of the
Maudio Delta cards are an entry point and the mics/preamps etc, at that
quality level, and many believe that the USB mics are a shade under that
whether they can be used for some professional needs or not.

I wanted focus what I meant by comments I made like almost ready to do
serious damage to mean for me ready to sway a specific subset of quality
professionals, and instead of saying that's where Paul n crew should focus
their efforts I should have said where I'm excited to see their efforts
beginning to show serious pay dirt.

Of course the point that multiple USB mics shouldn't apply to Ardour at all
overrides this, but where it pertains to the quality debate I wanted to
qualify my earlier email points as this thread got so long and detailed.

Will