[Ardour-Users] Multiple USB Input recording ___IS___ needed. No it is not "DUMMB" to want this feature

Joe Hartley jh at brainiac.com
Tue Jan 14 13:12:16 PST 2014

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 20:44:06 +0000
John Rigg <au2 at jrigg.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 08:03:11PM +0100, Marco Bertorello wrote:
> > Even if this irritation does not justify obfensive and haughty
> > sentences like "Ardour is not a toy" or "Ardour wants to be for
> > professionals" or "professionals do not work in this way". IMHO.
>
> I don't think pointing out that professionals work in a certain way is
> necessarily haughty when it's in reply to a questionable statement
> (from the OP in this case) about what "everyone does nowadays". It's just a
> fact. Nobody seems to get upset if a car mechanic says that a $10 set of
> wrenches isn't good enough for his work, but audio engineering is perceived
> as different for some strange reason.

I keep writing responses to this thread, then deleteing them since I
feel I'm just responding to a troll, but there are two things I keep coming
back to.

The first is a car analogy - whingeing that Ardour doesn't support
"hobbistic" usage is like a teenager going on about how a Lotus
Formula 1 car is too hard to learn to drive in, and that the designers
should take the novice driver into account, ignoring that it's the wrong
tool for the job.

As far as I can recall (and another 0.99 user here, I have list emails
archived going back to 2002), Ardour has been positioned as a professional
DAW.  There are many other less-complex programs out there.  If Ardour
seems too focused on a pro level to someone, perhaps the problem is not with
Ardour but with the user's expectations.  As has been noted, though, there is
a growing tendency on the part of people to not consider that they may not
be right, but that $OFFENDINGTHING must be changed to fit *their* needs.

The other thing is to give big props to John Rigg, whose work with
syncing Delta 1010s had me happily using a pair until last weekend, when
I finally replaced my machine with one that only has a single PCI slot.
John's work, as well as the time to post it on the net, was absolutely
key to me.  Many thanks!

       Joe Hartley - UNIX/network Consultant - jh at brainiac.com