[Ardour-Users] Multiple USB Input recording ___IS___ needed. No it is not "DUMMB" to want this feature

Steve the Fiddle stevethefiddle at gmail.com
Tue Jan 14 07:28:00 PST 2014

On 14 January 2014 12:11, Marco Bertorello <marco.bertorello at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2014/1/14 Hakan Koseoglu <hakan at koseoglu.org>:
>> On 14 January 2014 11:00, Marco Bertorello <marco.bertorello at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I agree, but cannot understand where is the problem asking ardour
>>> people to not consider only professional usage of ardour but also who
>>> accept the "degraded" quality in order to save money.
>> As explained many times before, Ardour has nothing to do with it,
>> Ardour uses Jack & Alsa. Multiple USB sound cards can be joined at
>> that level, if you like. End of story.
>
> Said I that *Ardour* do this?
>
> No, I said that ardour people thinks (or speak as they thinking this)
> that Ardour it's for pro usage only, don't caring of other kind of
> usage (and it's quite funny, 'cause I don't known any famous artist or
> SE using Ardour, while I know a lot of hobbists that use it. But maybe
> I'm wrong and ignorant, so somebody can point me to the last Lady Gaga
> work recorded with Ardour :) ).

There is no way that you could tell whether Lady Gaga's studio used
Ardour or some other DAW because the sound quality with Ardour is
identical or better than the sound quality of other DAWs.Many top
professional studios have been using ProTools for years, and the audio
quality in that is "only" 24 bit,

On the other hand you can safely bet that Lada Gaga's studio do not
record with multiple USB microphones (for reasons already expressed).

Ardour is intended to be a full featured DAW, not a toy. If a user
would prefer a toy there are numerous Apps available for Windows 8 and
tablets so there is no need to dumb down Ardour. Use whatever you feel
suits your needs. Personally I find Ardour to be much more user
friendly than comparable DAWs (compare with Sonar, Cubase, ProTools or
other "professional" DAWs)

It IS possible to use multiple USB microphones with Ardour, but that
is a matter of setting up the computer sound system to handle multiple
input devices. It is not a recommended way of recording multiple
channels and most relevant to this discussion, it has nothing to do
with Ardour, it is entirely about setting up the computer sound
system. If you need some clues how to do it, see this post on the
Audacity forum:
http://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?p=146769#p146769

Steve