[Ardour-Users] Share ardour session for easy tutorial?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Sat Aug 23 10:07:48 PDT 2014

On 08/23/2014 10:40 AM, Damien Delpiroux wrote:
> Hi everybody.
>
> I would like to have your opinion about this question:
> What's the best way to share ardour files to make tutorial?
>
> For now, I'm thinking:
> -Make "all in one" tutorial: so share the entire session folder as a
> ".tar" file.

A very recent example doing exactly that is

http://libremusicproduction.com/tutorials/basic-mixing-ardour-3
LMP uses a .zip file (~ 300 MB).

> But it's really big, and personally I would like to document about
> multi-track operations, so with about 16 tracks.
> Even in 44,1khz and 16bits, that's often very too big for "community
> site" (for example, like http://www.linuxmao.org/Accueil).

linuxaudio.org offers a download server and torrents for select
community projects http://download.linuxaudio.org/
If hosting it there is an option, please contact me off-list.

However, the best and easiest way host large files is
http://archive.org/ many of ardour users use that site to share complete
projects and sessions.

> -share audio files compressed:
> So  "convert Wave files to FLAC->share" and then the user can, after
> download,  "Import-> convert to wave" in ardour.

Since libsndfile supports flac, ardour can read them directly.

Encode all files in-place in the session/interchange/..../audiofiles/
folder and then search/replace ".wav" -> ".flac" in the session.ardour
XML file. (they'll be under <Sources>).  That's all.

The session will open without any special work.

ciao,
robin