[Ardour-Users] LVM for audio disk?

S C Rigler riglersc at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 12:49:14 PDT 2014

On Sat, Apr 19, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Wayne DePrince Jr.
<waynedpj at in-giro.org> wrote:

> ahoy all,
>
>   sorry for the slightly off topic post, but this list has lots of experienced users who perhaps have more info than i have been able to find elsewhere.
>
>   i am wondering if anyone has experience or advice on using LVM for a partition that will be used by Ardour for recording audio and MIDI, probably no more than 4 audio channels and an additional MIDI channel at a time being recorded, along with simultaneous playback.  it seems like the performance hit for LVM is not too substantial, especially when compared to the flexibility it provides (e.g. when i run out of HD space for recording).  however, the best info i could find was this old SO post:
>
> https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/7122/does-lvm-impact-performance
>
> as i do not have the luxury of spare drive space to test it out myself, i would appreciate any experience/thoughts/opinions using LVM with Ardour.
>
>   thanks.
>
> peace, w

You probably won't notice any difference.  I've been running Fedora
for years and the installer sets up /home and / as separate volumes in
an LVM.  Presumably it's for convenience and has no performance
implications.  Back in the SAN days (I'm a sysadmin in real life) I
used to use LVM to stripe across LUNS accessed from a SAN and share
the filesystems out to 100's of NFS clients.  In those cases the
biggest performance factors were the disk array, the filesystem or the
NFS protocol itself.  IMHO LVM is a mature product and if setup
correctly shouldn't cause you any problems.

--Steve