[Ardour-Users] Mackie Control Universal surface with BCF2000 USB<>MIDI interface

Kevin Cosgrove kevinc at cosgroves.us
Thu Apr 24 13:36:05 PDT 2014

I thought I'd publish something that works for me, after getting the
help of people on the Linux Audio Users email list.

I'm using my BCF2000 as a USB<>MIDI interface to connect my Mackie
Control Universal as a control surface.  All is working well, and
I didn't have to buy additional hardware.

I found a "User's Manual" with title "B-CONTROL > Fader BCF2000
B-CONTROL > Rotary BCR2000" on line as a file named bcf2000_p0246_m_en.pdf
In that I discovered how to set my BCF2000 to function as a UCB<>MIDI
interface.

First I had to set my BCF back from LC (Logic Control) mode to bC
(B-CONTROL) mode.  Here are the steps:

- power off the BCF, if not already off
- hold down the button just under the leftmost rotary knob
- turn on the power
- after the software version number displays, notice the mode is "bC"
- release the button

The BCF2000 can now be programmed into USB MIDI mode U-3.  Here are
the steps:

- hold down the EDIT key
- press the STORE key
- release both keys
- rotate the leftmost knob until "U-3" displays
- press the EXIT key

Now the BCF2000 functions as a single USB<>MIDI interface.

amidi -l reports

Dir Device    Name
IO  hw:1,0    M Audio Delta 1010 MIDI
IO  hw:3,0,0  BCF2000 MIDI 1
IO  hw:3,0,1  BCF2000 MIDI 2
 O  hw:3,0,2  BCF2000 MIDI 3

Relevant programs I'm running are:

 1259 ?        SLl    0:01 /usr/bin/qjackctl
 1266 ?        SLl    0:05 /opt/Ardour_x86_64-3.5.357-dbg/bin/ardour-3.5.357
24167 ?        SLsl   0:10 /bin/jackd -dalsa -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -D -Chw:1 -Phw:1
24180 ?        SLl    0:02 a2jmidid -e

In Qjackctl's Connections window, on the MIDI tab, I've connected

  ardour (mackie control out) <> a2j (BCF2000 MIDI 3)
  ardour (mackie control in)  <> a2j (BCF2000 MIDI 2)

Now my Mackie Control Universal surface controls ardour and changes
in ardour's GUI are reflected on the MCU.  Sliders work, the jog
wheel works, the clocks stay in sync, transport controls work.
Basically, it all seems fine.

I hope that helps some Ardour user down the road when their web
search lands on this message.

Cheerio....
--
Kevin