[Ardour-Users] "use session as template"

Jörn Nettingsmeier nettings at stackingdwarves.net
Sat Sep 21 13:16:09 PDT 2013

On 09/21/2013 06:10 PM, Paul Davis wrote:
> in 2009, I added some code to ardour (3.x under development) that
> hypothetically (at least) allowed you to use an existing session as a
> template for a new one.
>
> I remember having this idea and discussing it with other developers and
> users and thinking that it was easy and trivial and would be an
> excellent new feature.
>
> But now in the final quarter or so of 2013, I cannot see how this
> feature (as currently implemented) could possibly work.
>
> Has anyone used it? Does anyone recall any discussion of the idea? Has
> it ever worked?

hasn't worked in a while. but it's kind of useful.
say your band arrives at the studio, you set up, name the channels,
patch, create auxes, arrive at a basic monitor mix, add some reverb,
everyone's happy, you track the first song.

now you can track the second song in the same session, but as the
regions grow in number, ardour still gets a bit sluggish after a while.
so it would be really cool to just start a new session using the old as
a template, rather than having to save a template first.

that said, i must confess i haven't used session templates in a while
either. the last studio recording i did was a month ago, and there i
unfortunately crammed everything into a single session. quite messy in
post, but it seemed a good idea at the time...

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487

Tonmeister VDT

http://stackingdwarves.net