[Ardour-Users] Ardour 3.0 is released / payment options

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Mar 12 06:06:39 PDT 2013

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 8:54 AM, Christian Weikusat <
christian at shamanbenefit.net> wrote:

> > My understanding is that paypal is not forcing you to have "an account"
> >(...)
> > Am I wrong about that, for Germany at least?
>
> It seems just so. I was also very surprised because, up to now, this had
> never been a problem.
> Just to clarify: It is perfectly clear to me that I have to provide email
> adress and credit card details to paypal. I have no problem with that.
> But paypal was (at least yesterday) definitely trying to force me to have
> an account and I HAVE a problem with that. (I had an account once and will
> NEVER have one again).

I have heard this once before regarding Germany, that time for subscription
paymens via a credit card. It appears that either Germany does in fact have
different rules or PayPal is taking advantage of some ambiguity. It is
certainly not the case in most other countries where PayPal operates, as
far as I know.

> > What process do you believe was forcing you to pay?
>
> I'm not sure I understand your question. I was referring to the download
> page which says that you either have to pay at least 1$, download the
> source or use the free demo version that will not save
> plugin settings. Screenshot:
> http://www.imagebanana.com/view/b5rwagza/screenshot.jpg
> Maybe it's just my bad english, sorry.

Well, more a case of the new "marketing" strategy. It is less obvious that
you can elect to pay nothing at this point, which is intentional.

> > If enough other people pay, I don't waste energy worrying about those
> who don't. By the
> > same reasoning, though, please don't expect me offer help and support if
> > you don't want to pay.
>
> Actually I DO want to pay, otherwise why should I even worry about PayPal
> or anything?
> I find this remark unnecessarily offensive and rude. I had a problem with
> PayPal. OK, maybe I am a bit stupid and, of course, my english is far from
> perfect but I really, really tried (and eventually even succeeded) in
> paying for a3 like I have for a2.

I tried to word this to focus on the "want to pay", precisely to avoid this
kind of offense. Some people can't pay and some don't want to. Two
different categories. My remark applies only to the second group.