[Ardour-Users] 'Normalising' part of a region.

Raoul McAlister raoul.mcalister at sohnetwork.com
Sat Feb 2 13:41:57 PST 2013

Hi All,

Now that my export problems have been solved, my next question is about
editing tracks. I have ripped the audio out of an mpg news presentation
and I am editing it to remove certain time references and gaps etc.

Potentially a bad habit I have developed while using CoolEdit/Audition
is to select certain quiet or otherwise bad regions within the track and
normalised these to match other parts of the track which were normalised
correctly (or it should be said, better dynamically balanced).

Now I understand that normalising is best left to the very end even at
the mastering stage, but I need to still dynamically balance this out of
balance track. Is this best done by using gain automation? (this will
take a lot longer than what I do now).

And the other question I had was about random grouping of regions so
that they could be moved as a group without changing the time positions
of the regions relative to eachother. This grouping would be preserved
in the session and there could be multiples of such groups in the
session. Other regions could also be added. I think I recall a note from
Paul D that this was in the 'to do' list and I was just wondering
whether it was any closer to realisation. It is a handy feature.

Regards
Raoul