[Ardour-Users] midi plugin on audio+midi track

David Santamauro david.santamauro at gmail.com
Fri Dec 27 04:21:02 PST 2013

On 12/27/2013 06:51 AM, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 12/27/2013 12:00 PM, David Santamauro wrote:
>> On 12/27/2013 05:25 AM, David Santamauro wrote:
>>>
>>> ======
>>> You attempted to add the plugin "MIDI Channel Map" in slot 1.
>>>
>>> This plugin has:
>>>     1 MIDI Input
>>>     0 audio inputs
>>>
>>> but at the insertion point, there are:
>>>     1 MIDI channel
>>>     2 audio channels
>>>
>>> Ardour is unable to insert this plugin here.
>>> ======
>>>
>>> So how does one go about adding a MIDI plugin to an "audio+midi track"?
>>
>> I guess one doesn't.
>>
>> Audio/MIDI Tracks
>>      There are a few notable plugins that can usefully accept both audio
>> and MIDI data (Reaktor is one, and various "auto-tune" like plugins are
>> another example. It can be tricky to configure this type of track
>> manually, so Ardour allows you to select this track type specifically
>> for use when working with such plugins. It is not generally the right
>> choice when working normal MIDI tracks, and a dialog will warn you of
>> this.[1]
>>

>> [1] https://community.ardour.org/manual/track_types
>>

> Exactly.
>
> It depends what you want to do..
>
> You can add/remove ports to/from a track or bus.
> Right-click either on a port in the Audio/Midi Connection Manager or on
> the connection button on the mixer strip.
>
> Note that this allows to shoot yourself in the foot. Ardour does some
> basic checks to prevent major issues but with some ingenuity you can
> convince it to e.g. remove all MIDI ports from a MIDI-track and mess
> things up :)

Yes, got all that, although haven't shot myself in the foot yet :)

I just didn't realize that audio+midi was envisaged as a solution to a
specific problem. It is a very convenient template for MIDI being sent
either to an external tone generator or even over netjack to another
machine with software instruments. Up until now, it has worked exactly
in that capacity (netjack) in my studio because I hadn't the need to use
channel mapping (or any other midi plugin ). Interestingly enough, audio
plugins can be inserted into the chain on audio+midi tracks without problem.

Thanks for the info.

David