[Ardour-Users] help

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Tue Aug 27 19:52:39 PDT 2013

On Tue, Aug 27, 2013 at 10:42 PM, leo <leokn at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I just paid $20 (well worth it, wish I could afford more) to download the
> new Ardour 3.3.1. with PayPal.
>
> I just installed UbuntuStudio LTS 12.04.3 64 bit on another hard drive (
> "SATA II" ), which came packaged with an older Ardour version.
> I tried to update it through the Launchpad PPA, but even though it
> appeared to update ok, it reverted to the older version.
> Confused, I went to the Ardour.org website, when I discovered that a
> payment was required to get the latest version.

If you want a prebuilt ready-to-run version with support, then yes. You are
free to build it yourself or find some other user of your distro and use
that if you prefer, but I just ask that you don't ask me to support it if
you make that choice.

> I'm ok with paying something towards all your efforts, folks, and I intend
> to donate more to the Ardour cause in the future!
>
> I have 2 questions:
>
>     1) The download is a .tar file ( Ardour_64bit-3.3.1-dbg.tar)  and I
> don't know how to use it as an installation medium.

In a terminal window, change directory to wherever the downloaded tar file
lives, and type:

             tar xf Ardour_64bit-3.3.1-dbg.tar

then

            cd Ardour_64bit-3.3.1

and read the file named README that you find there.

>     2) The Ardour version I already have, and have been using on this here
> drive ( "SATA I", which is running Ubuntu 13.04, 64 bit ) is version 3.3.,
> so how do I get support for both hard drive different versions?

I only offer support for the version downloaded from ardour.org. The
version you got from Launchpad - that is for Ubuntu people to support.

--p