[Ardour-Users] A3: Silence and session load weirdness after re-open

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Apr 25 02:15:01 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-04-24 at 19:17 +0100, Q wrote:
> On 24/04/13 17:52, John Rigg wrote:
> > I take it you don't exchange session files with anyone else. If someone
> > sent me a session with an active feedback loop set up it might prove
> > expensive if I was in a rush and neglected to mute the monitors before

Then you would do something very idiotic, but as I mentioned before, we
easily will be idiots for at least one time every 10 or more years.
Accidents happen easily!

> No, I don't, but I don't see what that's got to do with anything. I did
> it on purpose

I understand your opinion, I _enjoy_ home recording done completely by
myself too, but this only is one kind of usage. Share a studio with
different people, having different levels of engineering knowledge, then
this protection is very useful.

> hard limiter hardcoded on the master would certainly be an improvement

That's nonsense. My complete session could be recorded with a maximum
level of -35 dBFS, a hardcoded hard limiter that cuts at 0dBFS (? or at
what level?) wouldn't make anything more secure. I don't want a limiter
in my signal chain, when I don't need it, even if it's always inactive.

Nobody should program software with a professional approach by including
annoying amateur features.