[Ardour-Users] A3: Silence and session load weirdness after re-open

Q lists at quirq.ukfsn.org
Wed Apr 24 11:17:00 PDT 2013

On 24/04/13 17:52, John Rigg wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 01:28:31PM +0100, Q wrote:
>>  From the experience I had, I don't see how the feature could prevent
>> damage: I had the session open for hours with the Feedback light merrily
>> flashing away and audio working normally.
>
> I take it you don't exchange session files with anyone else. If someone
> sent me a session with an active feedback loop set up it might prove
> expensive if I was in a rush and neglected to mute the monitors before

No, I don't, but I don't see what that's got to do with anything. I did
it on purpose, as an effect, I set the level very carefully so it didn't
runaway out of control. I expected the session to be as I'd left it when
I re-opened it.

> What's the problem with deactivating the feedback loop to get audio
> working again?

It negates using a feedback loop, deliberately, through choice, as an
effect. There's also the fact that I had to submit a bug report to find
out about this feature and work around it -- I genuinely thought
something was broken as there was no hint that audio wouldn't work on
re-opening.

> It's a much more unusual situation than wanting to
> avoid blown speakers. Personally I think this is an improvement over
> A2's behaviour.

As in A2, I've had huge volume spikes in A3 caused by some plugins -- a
hard limiter hardcoded on the master would certainly be an improvement
in my opinion and a welcome safety feature. Fortunately, nothing's blown
my speakers yet and dodgy plugins seems to be a far more common
occurrence than accidentally setting up a feedback loop.