[Ardour-Users] A3: Silence and session load weirdness after re-open

Q lists at quirq.ukfsn.org
Wed Apr 24 06:10:41 PDT 2013

On 24/04/13 13:40, Paul Davis wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 8:38 AM, Q <lists at quirq.ukfsn.org
> <mailto:lists at quirq.ukfsn.org>> wrote:
>
>     On 24/04/13 13:20, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>         On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 7:57 AM, Axel 'the C.L.A.' Müller
>              As I proposed in Q's report I would prefer a popup on
>         creation that
>              asks if the loop was created intentionally. Also sends (at
>         least in the
>              case of a loop) should be created with the level set to -inf.
>

>         what level? its a loop ....
>

>     In my case the feedback loop was created between two busses using a
>     Send.
>

> no, it wasn't.
>
> the send is one component in the loop. there are two. both of them have
> levels associated with them. remove either one and there is no loop. why
> is the send special?

Okay, if you're going to be smart-arsed about it, there were two sends
-- I couldn't remember whether I'd used a send from Bus 1 to Bus 2 or
just hooked the output of Bus 1 directly to the input of Bus 2, in
addition to the send from Bus 2 to Bus 1 which closed a loop.

Okay, the end effect can be the same, but with a Send the level can be
varied so that the feedback is controllable or runaway. If you connect
inputs to outputs it could get very nasty very quickly I imagine, unless
you happen to pull one of the faders right down beforehand. But with
sends being created at -inf the feedback loop won't do anything until
you raise the fader on the send (assuming the other send fader has also
previously been raised).

But ultimately, I don't know, why is the send special? YOU'RE the one
who picked up on that in Axel's post then responded to mine.

I guess you might be trying to say in a cryptic way that Ardour can't
tell one send from another and that all sends have a fader. Or that it
can, in some instances, take two sends to create a feedback loop. So what?

The point was, I created the loop DELIBERATELY, BY DESIGN, ON PURPOSE
and Ardour let me use it until the next time I opened the session.

I can see that, in some cases, feedback loops could be a problem. But
not necessarily in all and between various fader settings feedback can
be controlled.