[Ardour-Users] A3: Silence and session load weirdness after re-open

Q lists at quirq.ukfsn.org
Wed Apr 24 03:13:18 PDT 2013

On 24/04/13 11:02, Bart Brouns wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> First of all, sorry for the empty mail I just sent... Slip of the finger.
>
> I have had sessions open up silently in both a2 and a3 because of certain plugins. I think some plugs sometimes output a big DC value, blocking everything else.
>
> Try soloing some channels to see if you get sound, and if you do, muting one by one, to find the offending one(s).
> Once you do, bypass its plugs one by one to find the offending plugin.
>
> Hope that helps,
> Bart.

It wasn't a plugin issue: the load dropped for above 50% to 2% when
re-opened, I would've expected a significantly higher load from a plugin
playing up. The majority of the plugins are linuxDSP ones anyway. It
seems odd to me that one misbehaving plugin would stop all audio from
every single track (assuming it wasn't on the Master) unless it caused
the CPU load to approach 100% and Ardour to grind to a halt.

However, as mentioned in my post from earlier this morning, the sound
was purposefully disabled by A3 because there was a feedback loop
(intentionally so).

The disabling only occurred when the session was re-opened, but as soon
as I deleted one of the sends the CPU load came back up to the expected
level and sound returned.

I've submitted a feature request for this to be removed or handled
differently.

Many thanks