[Ardour-Users] Ardour: Prog-Rock Band Recordings

Ben Bell bjb-ardour-users at deus.net
Wed Nov 21 04:42:49 PST 2012

After several years of using Ardour I thought I'd follow the trend and
post a couple of things here for general amusement :)

They should however carry a health warning: they're mostly long prog-rock
pieces.

Everything here except the lead vocals were done in Ardour. Mostly live,
with overdubs.
  http://www.fusionorchestra2.com/media/

The only reason the lead vocals weren't Ardour is that the singer recorded
them separately at her home setup.

And this is 100% Ardour, and was a more conventional layer-by-layer studio
recording:
  http://soundcloud.com/benjamesbell/sketch-of-a-day

All the effects (beyond those inherent in the instruments) are free LADSPA
plugins, so this is a pure Open Source effort.

I'm pretty happy with the results I've been getting. My skills at mixing
and mastering aren't great, and recording drums in a shoebox room is always
going to be a challenge, but all in all I think ardour holds up to the
challenge really well.

Oh, and if anyone with more mixing skills is interested in helping out in
future... ;)

bjb