[Ardour-Users] xruns??? or soemthins else makes my playhead freeze and Ardour crash

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Mon May 21 20:09:18 PDT 2012

HI Wendy,
The other guys are making some good suggestions with regards to the
software layer and it is still worth trying. I'm going to make an
attempt at the hardware layer.
You mention that you have a new core i3 .. try turning off all turbo
boost settings .. and even powersaving settings in bios .... (there
are more elegant ways around this but this could prove what is going
wrong. )..
I have found that when CPU's start adjusting their speed automagically
to balance battery usage with CPU grunt that audio software doesn't
take too well to it. The newer the cpu the more aggressive this
behaviour is I haven't got experience with intels past core 2 .. but
the newer AMD's have the same issue .. (I turn off turbo core and
powerscaling on my audio computer and get much better performance)
..
Something worth trying .. Noel's suggestion of ditching ubuntu for
avlinux is also a very good one.. general distros aren't great for
audio work.  (ubuntu-studio is worth looking at)

cheers
Allan