[Ardour-Users] mix groups for all tracks/busses

Giso Grimm gg3137 at vegri.net
Sat Mar 31 06:47:14 PDT 2012

On 03/31/2012 02:42 PM, Jörn Nettingsmeier wrote:
> On 03/30/2012 08:53 PM, Giso Grimm wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> is there a way to apply fader changes simultaneously to all tracks
>> without creating a group and assign all tracks manually?
>>
>> Is there a way to assign a track/bus to several groups?
>>
>> Its ardour 2.8.11. I am looking for something like the magic "-all-"
>> edit group, but for the mixer.
>
> happens to me all the time with hasty live recordings...
>
> i'm working around the problem by inserting a pre-fader amplifier plugin
> such as the "simple amplifier" which is part of the swh package iirc. i
> think it can do up to 30dB, and it has that creamy sound of floating
> point multiplication which we all love.

Thanks for all suggestions!

I like the sound of floating cream; here is a very tiny tool which can
process ardour files to do what I want:

http://linuxaudio.vegri.net/ardour_trackgain.cc

It reads an ardour session file, adjusts the gain of all tracks (not
busses) by a given value, and saves the file back. It will not help
boosting the tracks, but with this tool I can put a single creamy
floating point booster in the master bus and don't have to touch all the
track faders.

No warranty. It is very likely that this tool will completely destroy
your mix. Not tested with sophisticated routings. Do not use without
making backups...

Giso