[Ardour-Users] input monitoring

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Fri Jan 13 12:33:17 PST 2012

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 3:26 PM, Wayne <wayne at in-giro.org> wrote:

> **
> Il giorno mar, 10/01/2012 alle 14.29 +0100, David Adler ha scritto:
>
>  On Tue, Jan 10, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Wayne wrote:
> >     but one thing to keep in mind that may be an issue: buses have no
> latency compensation.  if u put the plugins for the logical track on the
> bus like i do, you may hear some latency that you will need to adjust
> manually (right click on region, region-name->Nudge->move backward by
> capture offset).  again, not a big deal, but something to be aware of.
> >
> Thanks Wayne, I'll consider that, when arrived at that point.
> It's not entirely clear to me what 'latency' is in this context -
> is it latency a bus with plugins introduces wrt. a bus without
> plugins?
>

>     the bus latency issue confuses me too, but i have seen some odd
> latency showing up in places when i use a bus in my "logical track" setup
> .. or more likely the latency is always there, but i only notice it
> sometimes ;)

a bus only has latency if it is running plugins that add latency (typically
things like reverb, FFT-based EQ, and so on). the signal flowing through
the bus will be delayed relative to the signal not flowing through the bus.

if this was done in a track, we would delay all the other tracks so that
the signals all stay perfectly in sync. but when it happens in a bus,
ardour currently does nothing to correct the delay.