[Ardour-Users] Announcing Ardour 3 Beta 5 ported to FreeBSD

Marcel Bonnet marcelbonnet at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 04:13:54 PST 2012

On 20 December 2012 09:58, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> i guess i should also say thanks for working on a port to freeBSD (although
> some of the comments in your article are not accurate). maybe run comments
> like "ardour won't compile without SSE" by me first?
>

> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 6:54 AM, Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com>
> wrote:
>>

>> On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 6:51 AM, Marcel Bonnet <marcelbonnet at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi folks. I'm new in this list, but just in case if there are other
>>> FreeBSD users waiting or trying to build a fresh Ardour 3 Beta, you
>>> may find instructions and the required ports I've just made here:
>>> http://linuxhomestudio.com.br/freebsd/articles/ardour3b5/ardour3b5.html
>>

>> this is precisely why i used to ask people not to distribute a3. a3b5 is
>> roughly 600 commits behind current SVN. why would you package that version
>> rather than current svn, if you going to do it at all?

Hi, Paul!
I agree with you about your question, but I can explain: it seems the
freebsd ardour maintainer waits until every stable release to give us
a new version. At the freebsd multimdia list a guy made a beta 1 port
(as a preview) and I was longing to compile but I had problems with
the waf script. So, I first tried the CURRENT SVN but I did something
wrong and my knowledge is so limited in C/C++ (as waf script and all),
that I decided that would be easier to try the beta 5 first and then
try to do it with svn. (I found some svn version with newer glib I
guess... it would demand more ports for the freebsd than the beta 5 -
if I'm not wrong)

Thanks for pointing "ardour won't compile without SSE", I'll remove
that. As you can see, it is a miss understanding of a not experienced
programmer! Sorry for that.

With this build (the beta 5) I hope motivate people to keep using
ardour, jack and stuff with FreeBSD. I think ardour 3 is greater with
MIDI and LV2 support.

Cheers,
--
Marcel Bonnet