[Ardour-Users] SO many problems.

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Tue Dec 18 13:59:24 PST 2012

On Tue, 2012-12-18 at 12:18 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 18, 2012 at 11:54 AM, Patrick Shirkey
> <pshirkey at boosthardware.com> wrote:
>

>         It's pretty much the digital marketing standard to have a
>         realtime twitter
>         feed on a business/social site these days.
>
> its fairly much standard these days to have a mobile/cell phone. i
> don't have one of those.
> its fairly much standard these days to have a facebook page. i don't
> have one of those.

I also don't have a cell phone and I don't have a facebook account. FWIW
when I wrote about LinkIn I was kidding. I thought this mail about
Twitter and Facebook was a joke too. My apologize!

Nobody in Germany will believe you, when you say that you don't have a
cell phone. A German agency, the GEZ, didn't believe that I don't own a
cell phone with Internet access, when I explained that I even have got
no cell phone without Internet access. They wanted me to pay for
something I don't own.

In Germany everybody can pay for a cell phone, they are that cheap and
because really everybody can afford (at least the purchase, maintenance
is another issue) a mobile, they expect that everybody wants to own one.

I'm jobhunting, some employees aren't interested in my landline number,
they expect a cell phone number.
No mobile, no job and this happens for more and more employers.

OTOH we've got countless people who can't pay their mobile bills any
more, we have countless dramas, because people aren't aware, that their
Facebook accounts are completely opened, because they guess they've
closed the accounts for public.

I suspect next ICD and DSM will add a personality disorder for people
who don't have a cell phone and a Facebook account.
OTOH seemingly stalking by using LinkIn isn't stalking. To admonish
people who again and again and again ... and again spam others with
LinkIn invitations has got no effect in Germany. "I'm sorry, didn't know
LinkIn does misuse my address book to spam you, I removed you from the
address book", two weeks later they spam you again.

It's pestilence! IMO it's ok to own a mobile, to have Facebook account
etc., but it's sick to expect that all people have the same needs, that
nowadays everybody must use mobiles and social networks.

IMO it's not a drawback when a homepage for a Linux app doesn't provide
Twitter and Facebook links.