[Ardour-Users] Parallel compression - Was OT: bus strain on computer resources

Al Thompson althompson58 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 11:17:11 PST 2012

On 12/13/2012 11:56 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> On the side I googled for examples, but the hits don't include words
> such as "natural", but instead adjectives like "fatter" etc., usually in
> combination with product names, Cubase, Ableton etc.. Does anybody know
> music that was recoded with this technique? A link or name would be nice.
> Is it used by analog studios nowadays too?
>
> I want to listen to some examples.

Just out of curiosity - I am really curious about the software they give
in the examples.  For instance - does the latency remain constant for
all values of compression/threshold/etc?

If the latency varies at all, and they are using "parallel compression,"
what they are doing has nothing to do with compression, but is simply a
level-dependent chorus/doubling.

--
---
My bands, CD projects, music, news, and pictures:

  http://www.lateralforce.com

My blog, with commentary on a variety of things, including audio,
mixing, equipment, etc, is at:
   http://audioandmore.wordpress.com

Staat heißt das kälteste aller kalten Ungeheuer.  Kalt lügt es auch;
und diese Lüge kriecht aus seinem Munde: 'Ich, der Staat, bin das Volk.'
                                                - [Friedrich Nietzsche]