[Ardour-Users] bus strain on computer resources

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Dec 13 05:18:23 PST 2012

On Thu, 2012-12-13 at 10:58 +0000, John Rigg wrote:
> I've never used parallel compression in 25+ years of sound engineering
> work for example, as I've never needed it.

In around 30 years too, I never heard of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parallel_compression . For my taste simply
using a (multiband) compressor in a more common way already let the
music sound very artificial.

"Artificial" doesn't mean bad (or good), it simply is for "non-organic".

I guess there are some odd music fashions. For me it's impossible to
turn on the radio or television and listen to mainstream. All current
mainstream mixes for my taste do sound borked.

They blast the same 100 songs by heavy rotation all over the word to us.
By percentage this few songs, that all do sound similar, are a minority,
OTOH for most "customers" those minority are the best, of the best
songs. Many people nowadays have less general education about music, so
for many of them those few songs is all the music they do know, beside
evil "remastered" cult recordings. For a majority of listeners this
"unusual techniques" are all they ever heard.

        I want to get back more analoge mixing console features for
        computer recordings and I guess that this will allow to do all
        those modern mixing techniques too.

In the future there perhaps will be no serious latency any more and the
combination of the studio in the box and external equipment will be less
problematic. I guess at that time people won't overexcite compositions
and mixing techniques by using the computer and go back to use gear more
intuitively as it was done in the past, especially external gear.

Regards,
Ralf