[Ardour-Users] bus strain on computer resources

will cunningham willpanther at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 15:04:18 PST 2012

Friends,

I'm using Ardour to mimic the workflow of analog mixers with a few
adjustments for old-school analog musicians not familliar with DAWS.
This is a confirmation about the computer resources for a bus in
Ardour before I scale this for them:

I'm using A LOT of buses.  From reading posts/docs it seems that the
main coumputer restriction on tracks in Ardour is the speed of disk
writing;  Therefore even if I had say three buses per track for
monitoring/groups etc, they add much less strain on the recording
process than the actual recorded tracks.

It seems to work fine on my laptop(2g ram, 2.5g cpu) with 8 tracks and
several more buses, but I'm guesing 4G Ram with a 4G processor could
handle buses galore even if my peops want to go up to 24 tracks, and
get a little crazy with effects,groups etc. as the strain is mostly
buses, and not hard drive issues(which handles 24 tracks straight in
no problem even on my laptop)?

thanks,

Will