[Ardour-Users] Audio drive - file system?

John Rigg au2 at jrigg.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 08:23:05 PDT 2012

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 09:27:20AM -0400, Joe Hartley wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 09:06:46 +0100 John Rigg wrote:
> > Good points, but beware of the SSD's habit of losing data when left
> > unpowered for any length of time. The modern ones are much worse for this
> > than the earlier ones. SSDs are great for work in progress, but useless
> > for long term storage.
>
> Obligatory:  http://xkcd.com/285
>
> I work for a company that makes SSD-based networked storage devices, and our
> experience is that SSDs are getting better, not worse, at retaining data.

My understanding is that the SSD's ability to retain data decreases
with the number of writes, and that number gets smaller as the memory
cell geometry gets smaller:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm

I have a couple of SSDs in my main DAW as they are fast and silent, but
I'm very careful to back up to conventional HDDs as soon as possible.
I'm willing to be convinced that this is over-cautious if anyone has
some hard numbers on this.

John