[Ardour-Users] IMPORTANT cross-fade changes in Ardour 3 svn

Dragan Noveski perodog at gmx.net
Mon Apr 16 14:31:06 PDT 2012

On 16.04.2012 23:17, Ben Loftis wrote:
> doc said:
>
>> ben, thanks for trying to help!
>>
>> this is exactly what i do not get - i can adjust the length of a second
>> region (the right in the time line), the fade in, but how do we adjust
>> the way how the first region (the left one in the time line) gets faded
>> out, the length etc?
>
> The topmost region's fade is a crossfade between it, and whatever is
> below it ( whether this is silence, another region, multiple regions,
> or a stack of regions).  When the topmost region's gain is fading in,
> you'll hear the "inverse" gain level applied to any audio underneath;
> so it is fading out during the same period.  The fade in and fade-out
> start and end at the same time, but this is no longer related to the
> region start/end points of the region in the lower layer.
>
> The main benefits of the new implementation are:
>
> 1)  Allow crossfades to be moved in position and size regardless of
> the region overlap.  For example, in the old model you couldn't adjust
> the crossfade in/out lengths when a region was placed on top of, but
> enclosed by, a region underneath it.   In the new model you can do
> this and a lot more.
>
> 2)  Allow crossfades to continue to exist when one of the regions is
> momentarily moved/removed.
>
> 3)  Reduce the number of interactions between fades, crossfades, and
> region gain which often left users wondering what is supposed to happen.
>

> Best,
> -Ben

ok, i think that i am getting closer!

do you consider the function 'raise to top layer' being our big friend here?

...sometimes i do feel like a dog or a mouse or a rat - being so used in
the old x-fade model that i need so long now to get used to the new one....
correction - a rat probably would not need that long.

cheers,

doc